Basic facts about Hungary
Territory: 93,030 km2
Location: East-Central Europe (borders with Austria, Slovakia, Ukraina, Romania, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia)
Population: 9,849,000 persons
Form of Government: Republic
OECD member since: 1996
NATO member since: 1999
EU member since: 1 May 2004
Schengen area member since: 2007
Official Language: Hungarian
Time zone: GMT + 1 hour. Summer time from early March to late October (GMT + 2 hours).
Currency: Forint (HUF)
International Airport: Liszt Ferenc International Airport (BUD)
General visa information: The visa requirements of Hungary are in line with the provisions and recommendations of the EU and of the Schengen Convention.
Weather: The climate of Hungary is continental, with the western oceanic and the southern Mediterranean climate also having an impact. Summer temperature is 25-30 °C on average with occasional heat waves reaching 35-38 °C. The winters are cold with a temperature of -10 – 0 °C.
Electrical plugs: Electrical current is 220 volts, 50 Hz.
- 1 January – New Year’s Day
- 15 March – Memorial day of the 1848/49 Revolution
- Easter Sunday and Monday
- 1 May – Labour Day
- Pentecost Monday
- 20 August – Day of Foundation of the Hungarain State and St Stephen’s day
- 23 October – Memorial day of the 1956 Revolution
- 1 November – All Saints’ Day
- 25-26 December – Christmas
Basic Hungarian language course
Good morning! = Jó reggelt!
Good afternoon! = Jó napot!
Good evening! = Jó estét!
Good night! = Jó éjszakát!
Good bye! = Viszontlátásra!
Cheers! = Egészségedre!
Thank you! = Köszönöm!
Please = Kérem
You are welcome! = Szívesen!
Yes = Igen
No = Nem
- Great value for your money
- Budapest is the “Pearl of the Danube”
- Great cuisine, excellent wines
- Hungary is the land of thermal waters
- Hungarian hospitality
- Exciting cultural life
- One-thousand-year old history
- World Heritage Sites
- Fantastic shopping opportunities
- Cool nightlife